P 4640 Teaching Standards
District teaching standards include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that students are actively participating and are successful in the learning process.
- Teacher will monitor and manage student learning by specific assessment vehicles.
- Student and teacher will be prepared and knowledgeable of the curricular content.
- Teacher will maintain students' on task behavior.
- Teacher will use professional communications and interactions with the school community.
- Teacher will remain current on instructional knowledge.
- Teacher will seek and explore changes in teaching behaviors that will enhance student learning.
- Teacher will act responsibly in the overall mission of the school
- Teacher creates learning experiences that make the subject matter meaningful.
- Teacher demonstrates knowledge of the subject matter by implementing instruction pertinent to the subject matter.
- Teacher provides learning opportunities that support the intellectual, social and personal development of all students.
- Teacher cultivates the unique skills and talents of every student.
- Teacher will use a variety of instructional activities of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.
- Teacher creates a positive learning environment that encourages active engagement in learning, positive social interactions and self-motivation.
- Teacher models effective verbal, nonverbal and media communication techniques with students and parents to foster active inquiry, collaboration and supportive interaction in the classroom.
- Teacher will use formal and informal strategies to assess learners' progress.
- Teacher will actively seek out opportunities to grow professionally in order to improve learning for all students.
- Teacher will maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, colleagues and community members.
Final standards for teaching in the District will be in place by June 30, 2010.
Last modified: May 23, 2011